Simple Flutes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Simple Flutes

For people who make and play simple flutes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cooperman fifes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:38 pm

I live near Cooperman's workshop and have been over there several times. I own a persimmon fife and a couple other cheap pipes and whistles.

I was wondering if there was any general comment on their higher end fifes from someone that may own one. I have gotten to the point where I can play fairly well and am thinking about moving up from a beginners flute to something more of an investment.

Of course my main reason for playing them is to see how it is done. I usually play my side blown flutes.
Back to top Go down
https://simpleflutes.aforumfree.com
Thomas Hastay

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Cooperman Fifes and are recommended by the American Flute Guild as well as My favorite, the Abell Line of Instruments. Please have a look at this site...

http://www.americanfluteguild.com/makers/fifes.html

Choosing a fife is like having a child. You don't know what you're going to get and when you do, you have to let the new relationship develop with patience. Each instrument has an "Individual" personality. Basic requirements can be chosen, such as a large embouchure with a sharp angle of attack for fast octave changes or a conical bore for reedy tone color etc.

What kind of personality traits are you looking for in a Fife/Flute? I find that a Renaissance Circular Embouchure is the easiest for a beginner to learn on. It stabilizes the pitch for a newbie's lack of breath control and helps develop a focused "lip" technique needed with a larger embouchure.

Last edited by Thomas Hastay on Tue May 27, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hypertext is turned off)
Back to top Go down
Bill
Bill

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Thomas Hastay wrote:
(Reason for editing : hypertext is turned off)
Should I turn on the hypertext? I was concerned with people posting advertizement web pages, but that's a small concern here I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.claypipes.pbwiki.com
Bill
Bill

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Thomas Hastay wrote:

What kind of personality traits are you looking for in a Fife/Flute?
Truthfully, I suspect I play a fife more like a flute. I use the first register more than my reading suggests that fife players normally do, and I never go to the third register... yet.

My problem with my persimmon is that it is hard to get the fundamental as it tends to break to the next register (more practice might help) which is worse than not playing at all. It is better than my other transverse flutes in that the switch from top of the first register to bottom of the second register is very smooth, no change in timbre.

Of course, compared to my ceramic whistles, these are just as you say, part of the personality. I have to use a lot more control to keep a note on mine, but I guess I sort of expect transverse flutes to be easier to play.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Hastay

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Instruments that "break" easy from the fundamental to the next register are using a "trade off" conical angle to balance the 3rd register. You can try to adjust the flute plug (pull it out a little) to gain more acoustic resonance in the first register. A Fife/Flute plug is adjusted to "favor" a particular register and then leaves the player to compensate for minor frequency shift of the other registers with "breath control".

The area between the embouchure hole and the plug face is a essentially a "tunable panpipe tube". The "break" frequency is tuned with the plug as a "sympathetic resonance". Moving the plug a little closer to the voicing will favour higher registers and pulled out to favor the fundamental register. The formula for the mid-balance point is...

7 X (D/6) = Distance from embouchure center to plug face
D = Diameter of bore at the embouchure.

This measurement can be marked on the tip of your cleaning rod and used to push the plug into position. When the mark is at the center of the embouchure window, you have the plug adjusted correctly.

Last edited by Thomas Hastay on Tue May 27, 2008 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : < >brackets don't work)
Back to top Go down
Bill
Bill

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 8:31 am

I've been contemplating this, because I believe it has import to my side blown pipes. I know that you have to hold your mouth differently for each note using my pipes, and I figured it was partly due to something like this. With a low note, I can feel the vibration inside my mouth. If I accidentally finger the wrong note, it won't play until I readjust my mouth, giving the low notes more room, cutting back on the space in my mouth for the high notes.
Back to top Go down
chanelbags185

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 8:01 am

replica designer bags a few thousand people
designer inspired handbags you should be sure to choose
air max 2012 develops very quickly
nike shox turbo number of Air Nike Shoes
men puma shoes information that you provide to us
air max 90 is the famous fashion design
wholesale puma shoes and still want to be in style
puma shoes sale Quality warranty and satisfying service
timberland mens boots to fit your cute gifts?
gucci women shoes You can find the best quality shoes here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cooperman fifes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooperman fifes   Cooperman fifes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cooperman fifes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Simple Flutes :: Instruments :: European Flute-
Jump to: