Simple Flutes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Simple Flutes

For people who make and play simple flutes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thomas Hastay

Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes Empty
PostSubject: Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes   Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Metal Spinning soft metal tube over wooden "maderels" is a technique that can be used by anyone who has a standard lathe. It makes the production of tapered metal bores within the reach of the amateur hobbyist. The metal is first "annealed" or softened by heating and then quenching. Here is a simplified diagram of the technique...

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing/images/metal-spinning.gif

as the metal is spun down over the wooden manderel, it hardens/tempers it for better acoustic sound. The more you deform the metal, the more times you need to anneal it though. Spinning a flute tube down 3mm-4mm is a piece of cake for an amateur. (Thicker tubing requires a heavier lathe.)

Any interest?
Back to top Go down
Bill
Bill

PostSubject: Re: Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes   Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 10:37 am

"Spinning a tube down"? Does that mean starting with a tube, perhaps one of those stock brass or aluminium tubes from the craft store, and reducing it around a tapered mandrel? That almost seems within my reach.

I don't have a lathe, but I've set up a jig for my power drill that almost serves as one for small things.
Back to top Go down
http://www.claypipes.pbwiki.com
Thomas Hastay

PostSubject: Re: Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes   Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 6:50 pm

es bill, this is precisely what I mean. Thin brass tubing can be spun to conical bore shapes with a simple mini wood lathe. The tubing is soft, but must be heated and quenched to make it soft enough for this process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes   Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal spinning thin tube for Flutes
Page 1 of 1