Simple Flutes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Simple Flutes

For people who make and play simple flutes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Making first wood flute

Go down 
+2
Admin
oregonden
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oregonden
oregonden

Making first wood flute Empty
PostSubject: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi Folks,

I've made several PVC flutes and had good success and lots of fun. I would like to make a wooden flute scratch . I don't have a lathe so, turning wood down to correct OD and line boring a piece of solid wood I cannot do. For a simple, straight bore flute, would you recommend finding some bamboo? I can drill the tone holes and embouchure hole as I have a small drill press. Is it possible to use a loooong-shank wood boring bit, clamp some round stock in a vise and drill/bore the whole length? Simple and crude is fine with me. I'd like to make it from scratch. Any help for getting started is very appreciated. Thanks!

Dennis
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Well, as soon as I figure it out I will tell you.

I was just wondering if once you ran your drill (I have some 18in bits I plan to use) full in into the wood, could you then use that as the mandrel to spin your stock for rounding, there by drilling when the wood was the most sturdy, and then reducing the outside while the inside was still supported by the drill bit.

I wonder this because I don't have a lathe. My method of making round wood is to cut the corners off until it's round, then spin it on my drill and sand it smooth.

I've been thinking about becoming a Bodger and making a "Pole Lathe" for my wooden flutes.
Back to top Go down
https://simpleflutes.aforumfree.com
oregonden
oregonden

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi Folks,

I like the idea of a human-powered lathe. I also like Thomas' idea of using a router and table. My question today is where does one get seasoned wood stock for making a flute? To make a low D, six-hole simple system flute like ones I've made from PVC; the blank would have to be about 24" long and have a diameter of about 1 1/2" or so, then I could split it. Then, route out each side and epoxy back together. If I goof up (and I know I will), hopefully the first few blanks will be inexpensive. Any ideas on where to find? Thanks.

Dennis
Back to top Go down
Feadoggie
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:22 pm

oregonden wrote:
"My question today is where does one get seasoned wood stock for making a flute? To make a low D, six-hole simple system flute like ones I've made from PVC; the blank would have to be about 24" long and have a diameter of about 1 1/2" or so, then I could split it. Then, route out each side and epoxy back together. If I goof up (and I know I will), hopefully the first few blanks will be inexpensive. Any ideas on where to find? "

Hello, all.

Dennis, you might want to try "furniture wood" for your first attempts at a wooden flute, just to keep the costs favorable. Firewood is a good bit easier to make than a flute. Maple, cherry and walnut are usually available in suitable dimensions. The 1 1/2" by 24" you mention is a good size to start with. There are a lot of turning squares available on eBay in similar dimensions that are being sold as pool cue blanks. A few specialty suppliers also serve that market. After you get your methods down pat, you can move on to the more exotic woods from those same suppliers. Hope that helps and let us know what turns out.

Dennis
Back to top Go down
oregonden
oregonden

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks, Feadoggie.

Now that I think of your post, used and seasoned table legs would be great to start with. I'll also look into study pool cue stock and other sources of nude wood.

Dennis
Back to top Go down
Bill
Bill

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Yeah, I started to wonder if you could find tables at the thrift shop that might have some good turning wood...

I live right around the corner from "Vermont Hardwoods" which retail some interesting local woods.
Back to top Go down
http://www.claypipes.pbwiki.com
Thomas Hastay

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 3:40 pm

You could turn "green wood" into blanks with a simple bow or pole lathe. Boring/drilling green wood is easy too. If you make the bore undersized, sanding the cured bore to size is easy. Can you wait over the summer to start a "batch"? after shaping, I recommend a thick coat of wax, wrap the ends with waxed cord and leave the end grain natural to facillitate drying. Not all will survive curing, but most will.

There are methods of using a home made steamer and a tube attached to the end grain to force the resin out of the blank.(fast cure)
Back to top Go down
chanelbags185

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 8:07 am

replica designer bags a few thousand people
designer inspired handbags you should be sure to choose
air max 2012 develops very quickly
nike shox turbo number of Air Nike Shoes
men puma shoes information that you provide to us
air max 90 is the famous fashion design
wholesale puma shoes and still want to be in style
puma shoes sale Quality warranty and satisfying service
timberland mens boots to fit your cute gifts?
gucci women shoes You can find the best quality shoes here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making first wood flute   Making first wood flute Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making first wood flute
Page 1 of 1